Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. – Psalm 127:3-4
The Nursery Ministry provides a safe place for kids to learn the Word during services, while also serving the parents so they can gather for worship. Nursery is provided during every worship service at YCBC.
FAQ for Parents
How do I make the nursery experience pleasant and meaningful for my child?
You can start by bringing your child to church regularly. Also, talking about God and church are essential in the spiritual formation of a child. Make sure to mark all your child’s belongings plainly with your child’s name. Lastly, make sure you are familiar with the nursery policies and procedures and respond accordingly.
How and where should I drop off my child for nursery?
The nursery and preschool rooms are on the first floor of the Christian Life Center (CLC). On Sunday mornings, we provide nursery check in, in which the children receive a nametag. Pagers can also be obtained. When the parent comes to claim the child, the parent will go to the child’s room and present the “receipt” label (issued with the nametag) and/or pager. At other times, the parent can simply check the child in and out at the appropriate room.
Basic Nursery Guidelines
1. In order to know you and your child better, please complete the Child Information Sheet which will be kept on file in the nursery.
2. As you arrive, simply complete the sign-in process, noting special needs or restrictions such as dietary concerns and physical activity, and a feeding schedule if applicable.
3. We ask that you not arrive earlier than 15 minutes prior to any event in order to make sure everything is in place.
4. When a child is brought to the nursery, a numbered security label and/or pager will be given to the parent/guardian. Your child will be released only to the person having the matching security label/pager and who is an approved candidate to receive the child.
5. For reasons of security, parents and siblings are asked to remain outside the nursery as much as possible. A nursery worker will receive your child at the door. When necessary, tell the worker where you are going and an estimate of when you will return.
6. To avoid congestion please have only one individual bring and pick up a child. The person must be 13 years of age or older in order to receive a child from the nursery.
7. Person picking up a child should simply knock and hand the security label/pager to the worker who comes to the door. As much as possible, to prevent disruption, please do not open the door and do not enter the nursery.
8. Please do not go back and forth between the nursery and any church service as this may create confusion for the nursery worker and a distraction for worshipers.
9. We encourage all parents to rest assured that if their child becomes extremely anxious or upset they will be paged.
10. If you wish to discuss a matter with a nursery worker who is not related to your child’s immediate situation, please arrange to do so after that worker’s responsibilities in the nursery have been completed.
What do I do if my child is sick?
Children who show signs of illness should be kept at home. We ask that a child be free of fever (less than 100° for 24 hours) before coming to church. This is for the protection of your child, the other children, and the nursery workers.
Please be aware that nursery workers are never permitted to give medication to any child.
We adhere to the following recommendations taken from the Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases of the American Academy of Pediatrics:
A child should not be brought to the nursery when any of the following exist:
- Fever 100° or more within 24 hours
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea within 24 hours
- Any symptoms of usual childhood illness (e.g., chicken pox, mumps, scarlet fever, etc.)
- Any unexpected rash, pink eye, or other infections
If your child becomes ill during a church session, you will be contacted and asked to assist with your child’s care. If needed, an isolated area will be made available for your use.